Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Ok...a few moths between posting. Sorry. But give me a break, no one reads this anyways. Making my self get back int the swing of it all, did a final inking a new panel. But my Copic marker was getting low on black ink, so I've got to refill it.
Picks on the way. Stay tuned.
Picks on the way. Stay tuned.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
This idea fro this initial panel / art work came to me in three distinct waves.
The first part; Having three characters crawling from the mesa like structure that is the as yet unnamed mystical tree stump was clear. Fauxes was the only character who I knew would be there from the start. Some how Wishes and Exterminizer found their way into the drawing. Now I was left with a nice composition in one half of the picture...and a way too much blank space above.
Now the second part of this drawing, how to balance out the composition, literally came to me whilst I was in the shower. Drawings the dreams and visions these characters have. Fauxes 'vision image' is still unclear to me, but I felt it had to be there. Emphasising Wishes role as a companion for Pely Mell just made sense.The last part was simply just an over whelming urge to cast the scene on a black background, and my Copic marker took care of that.
What I like about this picture is I had no clear idea where it was going but it seemed to resolve itself. It is unclear if the individuals crawling from the stump hole are being born or emerging from an ordeal. Hopefully both
Sunday, March 28, 2010
This is part 2 of the list of character that will be the Ill Repute project. But before I divulge any more about the characters themselves, I should really talk about the purpose of the 'lexicon' Itself.
A lexicon can be defined a branch of knowledge, an individuals vocabulary, their language or a dictionary. These characters are helping me make meaning of an idea that upon my initial attempt I was not ready to embark upon. I needed a way to define the players, to let them distill - hence the need for the lexicon. It is the only term that feels right to apply to this collection of individuals who have been lurking in my mind, unfinished or unresolved - fully formed, created from a whim or dragged from the vault of projects past.
The lexicon does look quite nice a double page spread in my drawing folder, but it also serves a very practical purpose. It is a reference for me to draw and redraw characters. The lexicon is not a set at 10 characters, it will grow inevitably as the need arises. wait and see.
Now to the characters. Three of the five characters featured here are refugees from the former Ill Repute project and the even more antiquated Drunken Majestic.
- Wizard Moon Slice - One of the original characters from the 'inks only' Ill Repute. Originally a refugee from the year 3,000 because of his desire to wear triangulated hot pants, he has had a makeover. It is unclear to me at this point as to what role he will play in this project
- Wishes - The miniature horse who has owes his existence to my great desire not draw unicorns any more. In a way he is the son of two exiled unicorns from the Drunken Majestic series. Thanks to another epiphany and the Chad Van Galen song 'Willow Tree' he has gained some clarity. In time it will become clear.
- Exterminizer Zomboria - The character with possibly the longest and most unnecessary name, Exterimizer Zomboria is another defector from Drunken Majestic. Originally he had more of an animal body and slightly human head. Extermizer is one of the few characters so far whose identity is rendered to a greater degree. He only says two words, his flighty and can give people what they want in a way that is beyond his control.
- Intervention Mermaid - She actually looks more like her previous incarnation in the pages of Drunken Majestic than any of the other retooled characters. Not much known to me though except that she is magical in some way.
- Treybor - A completely new character inspired by the second drawing in the 'Mother and Son' series. Again, not much so far other than he is linked to the giant mystical tree stump. Obviously - he is made of wood.
Ideas are coming to me. Literally. Like a snap shot, a vision resembling a grab of animation. It is a lot of fun not knowing what I am drawing or where it is coming from.
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
This is the first half of the cast of players who will populate Ill Repute.
Those who know me and my much, much older work will recognise one of the characters - that being Krumi Crackers. The character of Krumi Crackers originated form my only published comic 'Drunken Majestic' (printed in the Tertangala, Wollongong University News).
Only 3 characters from the drunken Majestic series have qualified for life in Ill Repute. Unfortunately the cranky, alcoholic unicorn from which the comic was named after did not make the grade. He will stay in the past, where I feel he belongs. All the characters from Drunken Majestic have been completely recreated, only showing some minor visual influences of their former selves. Here are some breif notes on each;
- Pely Mel - A female character who was just crystalising as I decided to abandon Ill Repute's original incarnation. At this point I just have intuition and feelings as to what a character will do, with Pely Mel she is at the crux of it all. That is about as much as I know.
- Mozl - It sounds funny but I had a vision of a character with way too many teeth in his mouth, and he pretty much evolved from there. His role is clearer; a magician and host type character who puts on shows for the inhabitants of the town. He is generally nervous and his magic is fatally flawed involving displacing something, an act which he calls 'finding magic'.
- Bird in Kind - Based on a New Zeland ground Parrot called a Kakapo. His arrival is very clear, as I am drawing it right now. What he will do is less certain, but he is a cranky bird, and especially dislikes Mozl (for good reason).
- Fauxes - This animal character appeared in the original Ill Repute 1 chapter comic as part of a time traveling sequence. At this point I know 2 things about him; he lives in giant mystical tree stump and he can see events that occur in the future.
- Krumi Crackers - An amusing character in the prehistory that was Drunken Majestic, Krumi Crackers is going to play a highly significant and less humourus role. The facts at this point; he hordes what is forbidden and cherishes it, his speech is limited and he has impulses that will effect others.
This new project is developing in a way that I have never experienced before. It is like the ideas for drawings come from remembered dreams and epiphanies. I feel like the concepts are from an older part of my brain, that have been hanging around in limbo since the first version of Ill Repute.
I am having fun. Stay tuned.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Here is the completed title page from the 'Mother and Son Draw / er \ ings' series. I really love drawing title pages, but as fun as they are to create they should serve a function. Each object on this title page corresponds with 'dashes' numbering the picture each object appears in. Basically my 'dumb encryption' indicates the order of the drawings (obviously) while letting the viewer 'join the dots' in relation to object and the drawings they originate from.
The rules by which these drawings were created, often talked about and promised (by me) to be revealed in previous blogs, are very simple. And here they are.
They are that;
They are that;
- two things must be engaged in some kind tangible battle or conflict.
- the text used must only be something that could be said in the context of an overly dramatic argument between a mother and son.
- the characters / creatures / objects / things that I draw must be able to be the prototypes for awesome toys that I would want to own. Ideally the the characters from each drawing would be sold as a two figure set (accessories included and window boxed).
It has also cleared the way for the next thing I shall be embarking upon. A vastly different journey, where I find myself returning to a very different place. I am going homeward in a way, to a place / idea / land that through my own creative neglect - has lain dormant.
I am of course talking about (to quote myself) the 'ill fated no-pencils-just-inks comic escapade called 'Ill Repute' (which I don't not consider dead, just unvisited...for a while)'. Except this time I will be using pencils and inks and cutting back on the detailing some what, as to stop my self going mad.
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Here is the final picture, No. 7 in 'Mother and Son Draw / er \ ings' and I am glad to finally complete this series with the 7th work. The 'quad-owl' was fun to create allowing me to draw tentacles, which is always a bonus. No. 7 was by far the easiest of the series to complete, I am not sure why it just seemed to come easier and by the seventh drawing I was fussing less and just putting it down on the paper more. Another post will follow ASAP, with the Completed Title page and the long postponed explanation of the 'Mother and Son Draw / er \ ings' thematic rules that each picture in the series has adhered to.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Continuing work on the 7th drawing, with a little snap shot of 'foxy wolf's' head and paws almost fully rendered. The thickness of the outline is deliberate, it's something I use to fudge depth and perspective - mainly because I tend to draw fairly flat images. Hatching and shading are also very handy for accentuating depth and adding volume to a figure or animal. And there is one thing that can not be underrated for it's effectiveness as drawing technique; the age old art of little scuffs. For me, It is those drawn scratches and marks on a character that can be the difference in a drawing being finished - or it being left incomplete and bothering the flip out of me.
More to come. You know what to do.
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Just finished initial inking of the 7th drawing in the series. The flying dog / fox cyborg is inked heavier as a foreground figure. But what is that? a tentacle attacking? Trust me you could not guess what the other thing is if you tried. stay tuned.
Saturday, February 20, 2010
Finally. No. 6 done. I now have one more drawing left to complete this series. Featured in this work are two more characters from the long quiet 'Ill Repute' concept (see previous posts), 'Blizzard the Cyber Lizard' (again previous post re: preview) and the obtuse yet overpowering 'Pres-e-dent Chin-Waa Shark'.
In the context of the Ill Repute comic, both of these characters originate from the far distant future, the year 3000 to be exact. Blizzard The Cyber Lizard is your standard sassy semi reptilian time traveling Keytarist. He was a a real hoot to draw and write for. Pres-e-dent Chin-Waa Shark only appeared in around two panels of the very short Ill Repute comic. He really didn't say a whole lot. He was kind of defined by his central political mandate; social change through the compulsory wearing of powerful belts and wrestling pants.
As I have done with these 'lost' characters, I have given them a aesthetic upgrade and in this case, added hovering sky platform for...well because I feel like it. A big part why 'Mother and Son Draw / er \ ings' has been so involving for me as the individual drawing it is because I have allowed myself to juxtapose absurd concepts will-nilly. It is kind of liberating when you just keep drawing and saying 'why not?'.
I have decided to break down the thematic rules of this series as part of the very next post. I have to go. No.7 is taking shape inside of my head as we speak. Stay tuned.
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
This is a section of the 6th drawing in the 'Mother and Son Draw / er \ ings' series. The figure whom is fully inked and rendered (with the exception of his right hand) is the keytar toting, time traveling, sassy talking cyborg / humanoid /reptile - 'Blizzard the Cyber Lizard'. First given life in the tomes of another ill fated no-pencils-just-inks comic escapade called 'Ill Repute' (which I don't not consider dead, just unvisited...for a while).
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Here is the 5th drawing in the series. I have added detail pics to make it seem like I am doing more work than I actually am. I really like this drawing, mainly because it is resurrecting and updating two characters I created back when an I pod was a real novelty.
In this Drawing are 'Skelotron' (the appropriation for Skeletor is obvious and intentional) and 'Keeper Cyclopticus', both were part of a long dead and overly complicated comic called 'The Character Project'. Within the story, they were M.U.H.A (Mystical Universal Heritage Agency) agents who maintained and monitored skull themed castles and unusual and mystical structures. I drew atleast 6 pages with no penciling just ink pen on paper - nice idea but labour intensive. And so they went away, moving to a town named 'unfinished ideas'.
So here they are, back from exile because. Why are they fighting I hear you ask? It just looks better that way. But there is actually something to that question. I will outline the thematic behind the Mother and Son series in the very near future.
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Here is some art work from me, part of the 'mother and son' series I have been working on, and kind of ignoring as of late. My good friend Bodie but these up on his facebook a while ago so props to him for doing that. The idea / inspiration actually came from a chat with this intrepid young man and his partner Jess. Bodie as he is part of an awesome two piece called Mother and Son who I am a fan of. They rule.
Hopefully will post more when I finish the last pic, which is already 3/4 done. Damn myself for not finishing something that is nearly done!